The complex was part of the Bourbon royal residences in Campania and since 1927 it has housed the Duke of Martina National Ceramic Museum. The Villa Floridiana, located on the Vomero hill surrounded by a splendid park which takes the name of Floridiana, is a neoclassical style villa which owes its name to Lucia Migliaccio, Duchess of Floridia and wife of Ferdinand IV of Bourbon. In 1815 this villa, which was the estate of Prince Giuseppe Caracciolo of Torella, was donated by King Ferdinand to his wife, who decided to call it Floridiana.
For the occasion, the avenues and paths of the surrounding park in a romantic style were arranged and enriched by the director of the Botanical Garden of Naples Friedrich Dehnhardt who brought 150 species of plants such as pines, plane trees, holm oaks, palms and camellias. In the final part of the park a splendid terrace offers a splendid view of the gulf. In 1919, after being inherited by the royal couple’s children, the villa was purchased by the State which made it an exhibition site for the collection of ceramics received as a gift from Maria Spinelli of Scalea, an inheritance from her uncle Placido di Sangro, Duke of Martina, which gave its name to the Duke di Martina Ceramics Museum which is still open to the public.
8.30 am – 7.00 pm (from April 1st to October 31st)
8.30 am – 5.15 pm (from 1st November to March 31).
Free entrance to the park .